Followers

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Field Study

My grandmother's experience with music has instilled in all of us an interest and support toward our musical endeavors.  My grandmother was one of a set of twins and was the 6th-7th member of a family of 8 children.  She was born in Tipton, Iowa and lived in a small farmhouse of modest means.  She did not have the opportunity to have private music lessons or attend music performances other than local offerings at the high school gym (Tipton, Iowa).  My grandmother joined the army when she graduated from high school in order to receive an education.  She became a registered nurse and served in the army until she met my grandfather.  She always loved music and had an appreciation for all types of music.  In listening to music in her youth she most probably listened to music played on records that were available in the 1940 - 50's.  My grandmother was born in 1924 so current ways of listening to music were not even invented at this time.
     My grandmother did love the music that was offered during these years.  She loved the "big band" music in addition to Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra.  She liked to watch the Lawerence Welk Show and enjoyed listening to various ensembles as presented by performers at various Bob Hope shows.  These shows were offered to members of the armed services. My mother said that as a teenager she remembered that my grandmother enjoyed listening to Elvis Presley music.  My grandmother and my grandfather attended a live performance of Elvis Presley shorlty before he died.  They were disappointed in his performance as he was rather bloated and not as quick and professional as they thought he would be.
     My grandmother always instilled the importance of music in her children and grandchildren.  My grandmother took piano lessons from a neighbor in Vermillion, South Dakota starting in the 2nd grade.  My mother took lessons every year as did my three aunts.  When my mother entered high school, she learned how to play the clarinet.  She was a member of the high school band.  My three younger aunts also played instruments and participated in the high school music programs.  My grandmother continued to take private piano lessons up until the last few years.  She is now 85 years old and has arthritis making it difficult to play. She still continues to attend local music performances and has a great appreciation for those that can play and perform in the field of music.  My mother attributes her love of music and ongoing interest toward all that my grandmother instilled in her as a child and youth. 

I am very grateful to her for all that she has made possible.

2 comments:

Erica A. Lane said...

Mary -

I think your grandmother's love for music and her ability to pass that passion down to her children, and them to you, is beautiful. I'm sure that means a lot to her and I am sure she has a lot of stories to tell. Also, the similarities between our grandparents and their musical choices is uncanny. Mine also LOVED the Bob Hope and Lawrence Welk Shows and Frank Sinatra has always been practically a God in our house.

Great Blog

Kelly McElrath Vaneman said...

Your grandmother sounds really neat, Mary. Does she live nearby? If so, you should make an effort to play some for her--I have a hunch she'd really, really love it.