Followers

Friday, January 14, 2011

More Cool Stuff

This is so cool. If you watch it all the way through you can really hear when they transition into another key and rhythm. It is expressive the way they show spirituality through their body and through their voice. This is a traditional dance from Chetugu, Zimbabwe. Enjoy.
This is a video that describes the way music is used in Africa. They dance, drum, use the mbira in this video and more. The man who is speaking explains the spiritual aspect that music has on the people.


This is my favorite video out of all. It shows how music is apparent all the time in their lives. This is what these kids do on their free time. Go out into a field with friends and have a good jam. One boy has a shaker, the other two are playing with their thumbs like we watched in class.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

The third video you posted is my favorite too. Those kids look so young! It's amazing to see what kids their age can do without video games to slow them down. I can't get over how easily they play the thumb pianos, I don't think I will ever stop being impressed with people that can do that. Especially when they are out in the heat standing in the middle of a field.

Lauren Holloway said...

It really is interesting that you pointed out the key change in the dance video. I don't know that I would have caught it if you hadn't said anything. And the video with the boys playing thumb pianos was cool too. It's funny to see how different our cultures our in the way that we spend our free time.

Kelly McElrath Vaneman said...

I've seen that third video a few times, and I just love it. It makes me happy.