Followers

Friday, January 28, 2011

What I have learned

1. What is something you learned about another culture this term that surprised or intrigued you?

2. What is something that you realized about your own culture through our discussions.

3. What is something that this course has inspired you to learn more about.


1a. I learned a lot about the geography of the different countries. Something that was interesting to me was African music and the way they express themselves through music in everyday life. It wasn't just something that someone specialized in...it was something that everybody was 'naturally taught from day one! I also enjoyed the post man song, I will never forget that one.

2a. I thought the day that we talked about the Blues was so cool. I did not know that much history of the blues and learned a lot about our culture and really who's to give credit for a thriving genre.

3a. I would like to learn more about the blues and the scales and improvisation that is used. I would also like to study more indian music. The different instruments used to create an ensemble really make the entire genre more different. I would be interested in playing with a sitar and drum rather than 3 other stringed instruments like we do today.

1 comment:

Kelly McElrath Vaneman said...

I'll make sure and let Chris know that you liked the Blues the best! I bet you can hear all sorts of blues groups in NYC--go have a great musical time, ok?